Mentor and Counsellor, Mita Mohanty


I have worked in the education field for all of my adult life including the last eight years as Headmistress in K.V.No.1, (Kendriya Vidyala / Central School) in Bhubaneswar. Even though the students at my school came from all walks of life, most lived in a stable family environment where a responsible adult could look after their daily needs and keep an eye on their studies. About fifteen years ago when I visited an orphanage in Bhubaneswar I was shocked to see the forlorn looks in the eyes many of the children there. Their looks touched my heart greatly and almost instantaneously, I decided I would extend a helping hand to these children and try to bring a smile to their faces.

Some of the children had come to the orphanage when they were only a few months old. Others were well into their teenage years. I pondered how they would be able to earn their livelihood once they turned into adults. How could I help bring out their individual talent and further their education to enable them to support themselves once they stepped out into the real-world. I leaned on my experience as an educator to provide various educational opportunities for all the children. The children in High School are provided regular counseling to take advantage of opportunities available in vocational programs that will provide them with technical skills that are in demand by potential employers. At the same time we emphasize the importance of being caring and responsible human beings.  

I want to extend my gratitude to Mrs. Pratima Rout, Assistant Training Officer, ITI, KIIT University and the management of KIIT for partnering with the ashram to provide boarding and housing for the students who joined KIIT last year. 





Comments